The official opening of Amsterdam 2013 will take place in the second week of January. Next to all of the opening activities of the jubilee year, there will be much to experience throughout Amsterdam. For example, the first Amsterdam Hotel Night is scheduled, the kick-off of Amsterdam 24H, plus the opening of several special exhibitions in the Amsterdam Museum and Rembrandthuis. And if there is ice on the canals, the 2013 programming will be adjusted accordingly.
Cultural highlights in January 2013
- Canal tours by New Amsterdam Canal Cruises, with a performer as a guide.
- Launch of a special concert series at Concertgebouw.
- 24H Amsterdam (launched in the centre of Amsterdam).
- 2013 cultural icons depicted in the windows of De Bijenkorf department store.
- Amsterdam Hotel Night connects canal-side hotels with hop-on/hop-off canal boats, providing special historical narratives and activities.
- Official opening of Amsterdam 2013 with the launch of ‘Icon 2013’.
- The Concertgebouw Dinner, including the presentation of the ‘Concertgebouw Prize’ and ‘Young Talent Award’ (private event).
- Premiere of a new composition by Magnus Lindberg, gifted from the Concertgebouw to mark the 125th anniversary of the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra.
- Amsterdam Fashion Week Downtown.
- Amsterdam Fashion Week.
- Inbetweens: an exhibition celebrating 25 years of Toneelgroep Amsterdam, featuring the photography of Jan Versweyveld in FOAM (until 3 March).
- Opening of the exhibition Amsterdam on the Water in the Rembrandthuis (until 26-05-13).
- Opening of the exhibition Golden Age in the Amsterdam Museum.
- Opening of the exhibition Living on the Canal! in the Amsterdam Heritage Museums.
This preliminary programme may be subject to changes.