Britsoc: The British Society of Amsterdam and the Netherlands. Serving the British Expat community since 1920.

All posts in British Consular

News from the British Consular office

Check the Validity of your Passport before Half Term

Categories: British Consular, News, Public Service Announcements, Travel and holidays, Vacations
Comments Off on Check the Validity of your Passport before Half Term

The British Consulate is advising families to check their travel documents validity before travelling this half term especially if you are travelling to North America.  In April this year the US goverment, under some new anti terror regulations brought in the strict need to have an electronic passport.

These are the rules according to the US customs and Border Protection:

as of April 1, 2016, you must have an e-passport to use the VWP. An e-Passport is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. You can readily identify an e-Passport, because it has a unique international symbol on the cover.

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

ESTA is an automated system that determines the eligibility of visitors to travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP). Authorization via ESTA does not determine whether a traveler is admissible to the United States. U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers determine admissibility upon travelers’ arrival. The ESTA application collects biographic information and answers to VWP eligibility questions. ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel, though it is recommended that travelers apply as soon as they begin preparing travel plans or prior to purchasing airline tickets.

Additionally Canada has also introduced a new rules from September:

Entry rules into Canada has changed for visitors from “visa-exempt” countries. They will be in full effect after September 30, 2016.

New rule does not apply to Canadian or USA citizens, and travellers with a valid Canadian visa.

If this applies to you, please remember to check and apply, before you travel to Canada, and based on the passport that you plan to travel with, as per

“The rules are part of Canada’s Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), established in 2011 to facilitate travel between the U.S. and Canada. A result of the eTA was an effort to more closely scrutinize foreign nationals from visa-exempt countries.

Visit the Government of Canada website here to determine if an eTA is needed and/or to apply through an online process. Please note, a passport, credit card, and email address are necessary to apply.”

It is always a good idea to make sure you have the right documentation for your destination and so don’t be caught out this half term.



Tea Break

Categories: British Consular
Comments Off on Tea Break

Tea Break is the British Consular Newsletter | June 2015 edition

Tea Break provides regular news crumbs, tips and snippets from the British Consulate-General Amsterdam.

It’s distributed amongst the consular staff and British expats in the Netherlands.

Tea Break Newsletter
Download the British Consul Newsletter here

Content for Tea Break is  collected by John Cameron-Webb (and his staff), British Consul for the Netherlands.

The newsletter is produced every quarter by John Richardson, owner of the English language writing service John the Copywriter.

John also writes, edits and designs newsletters for CADS and The British Society of Amsterdam.


British Consulate Services Amsterdam

Categories: British Consular
Comments Off on British Consulate Services Amsterdam

The British Consulate in Amsterdam provides essential services and consular assistance to British nationals in the Netherlands & the Dutch Caribbean.

Listed below is a summary if where we can and cannot provide consular assistance. Click here for a complete description     

In addition to the services listed above we can also:

  • provide information about transferring funds
  • provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
  • help people with mental illness
  • do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
  • offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
  • contact family or friends for you if you want
  • make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters

What our consulates cannot do for you

Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:

  • get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
  • help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
  • give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
  • get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
  • pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
  • make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
  • make business arrangements on your behalf

Click here for fuller description of all our services on the Britsoc Website)


Services of the British Consulate Amsterdam 

Address and opening hours British Consulate Amsterdam 


British Consulate General Amsterdam

Koningslaan 44
1075 AE Amsterdam

Documentary and notarial services by appointment only

Access and opening times


Get a passport extension

Categories: British Consular
Comments Off on Get a passport extension

If you’re living overseas, you can apply to extend your British passport for 12 months. Child passports can also be extended.

You won’t be charged any extra fees.

Countries and territories that accept extended passports

You can enter the UK with an extended passport.

Read a list of other countries and territories that will accept extended passports. The list will be updated regularly.

You should check that the country or territory you’re travelling to will accept extended passports – phone your nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission.


All of the following must apply:

  • you’re outside the UK
  • you have a red passport
  • you haven’t already applied to renew your passport
  • your passport expired less than 6 months ago or will expire in the next 3 months (or in the next 7 months if you’re in or going to a country or territory that says you must have 6 months left on your passport)
  • your passport has at least 3 blank pages

Apply for an extension

  1. Complete the application form.
  2. The service is by appointment only – phone your nearest British embassy, consulate or high commission and select the ‘consular services’ option.
  3. Take your passport, application form (and 1 other form of photo identification if you have it) to your appointment – parents can attend on behalf of children, and husbands and wives can attend on behalf of each other.

Your passport will be extended for 12 months.

You may be eligible for an emergency travel document if you’re overseas, you don’t qualify for a passport extension and you can’t get a new or replacement British passport in time to travel.

Important application changes for British passports

Categories: British Consular, Public Service Announcements
Comments Off on Important application changes for British passports

From 3 June 2013 passport applications from The Netherlands will no longer be processed at the Regional Passport Processing Centre in Paris

Dear All,

Please read below for important information about applying for a British passport from The Netherlands. From 3 June 2013 passport applications from The Netherlands will no longer be processed at the Regional Passport Processing Centre in Paris.

Read more

Fake police robbing tourists

Categories: British Consular
Comments Off on Fake police robbing tourists


Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Fake-Police Criminal Scam

May 31, 2013

While it is from the US Embassy and Consulate, even if you are not a US citizen you might want to be aware of this scam/crime.

Read more

The British Consulate General Amsterdam

Categories: British Consular
Comments Off on The British Consulate General Amsterdam

The British Consulate General Amsterdam: worldwide consular assistance


With more than 40,000 British citizens living and working in the Netherlands, what kind of practical support can they expect from representatives of their home country?


Read more