The British Consulate in Amsterdam provides essential services and consular assistance to British nationals in the Netherlands & the Dutch Caribbean.
Listed below is a summary if where we can and cannot provide consular assistance. Click here for a complete description
Out-of-hours emergency assistance (call +31 (0)20 676 43 43).
Information on passport renewals and visas.
Registering a birth or death.
In addition to the services listed above we can also:
- provide information about transferring funds
- provide appropriate help if you have suffered rape or serious assault, are a victim of other crime, or are in hospital
- help people with mental illness
- do all we properly can to contact you within 24 hours of being told that you have been detained
- offer support and help in a range of other cases, such as child abductions, death of relatives overseas, missing people and kidnapping
- contact family or friends for you if you want
- make special arrangements in cases of terrorism, civil disturbances or natural disasters
What our consulates cannot do for you
Although we try to help British nationals in a wide range of situations, we cannot:
- get you out of prison, prevent the local authorities from deporting you after your prison sentence, or interfere in criminal or civil court proceedings
- help you enter a country, for example, if you do not have a visa or your passport is not valid, as we cannot interfere in another country’s immigration policy or procedures
- give you legal advice, investigate crimes or carry out searches for missing people, although we can give you details of people who may be able to help you in these cases, such as English-speaking lawyers
- get you better treatment in hospital or prison than is given to local people
- pay any bills or give you money (in very exceptional circumstances we may lend you some money from public funds, which you will have to pay back)
- make travel arrangements for you, or find you work or accommodation
- make business arrangements on your behalf
Click here for fuller description of all our services on the Britsoc Website)
Services of the British Consulate Amsterdam
Address and opening hours British Consulate Amsterdam
British Consulate General Amsterdam
1075 AE Amsterdam
Telephone+31 (0)20 676 4343
Documentary and notarial services by appointment only